Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Strongman

Yesterday was freakin' AWESOME!

Tom, Sean, and I headed down to Rainier in the morning hoping to get a little practice with stones for the upcoming strongman competition.  Kurtis taught us how to lift stones and we worked our way through the stones up to our competition weights.  A 200# stone is kind of heavy!  We then proceeded to to 1 round of the event in the competition.

1 round
200m run
5 Stone loads (50") (200# stone)
2 rope climbs

This one was fun!  My fourth stone load, I just missed getting on top of the platform and when I rushed to try and get under the stone to push it up onto the platform, I knocked the wind out of myself hitting my chest into the stone.  I ended up dropping the stone and took quite a bit of time to get situated again for my final 2 loads.  Definitely won't do that in the competition!

Next we learned how to press/jerk the logs.  This was very awkward compared to a regular bar.  After playing around a bit with the log we did the whole event.

3 rds
7 log press/push-press/jerk (140#)
21 double unders

2:43

This one was surprising!  The push presses disappeared in the second round!  It was weird trying to jerk the log too.  I never really got a good feel for the jerks.

We then played around a little bit with the farmer's walk handles and then a heavy (200#) sandbag carry.

Overall, this event is going to be AWESOME!  I can't wait!

We hit up some lunch at Ana's, and then we did some more training up at SRCF in the evening.

Worked in some bench with Sean, and Tom.

5x195/3x225/1x250f  Tried to use Tom's numbers, but 250 was just barely too heavy or a 1 rep max for me.  Probably around 245#.

Then did my Wendler deads on the fatbar.

Week 2 Deadlift, 450# working load
180/225/270
3x315
3x360
3+x405 x6

Then a nice little checkout with Tom.

4 rds
1 HSPU on parallettes
2 muscle-ups
4 ring dips
8 toes to rings

4:04.  This one was fun!  It added a bit of a challenge having everything on the rings.  Forced you to go unbroken and avoid having to do another muscle-up if you broke up the dips.  It really taxed the shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment